Friday, August 13, 2010

Literacy and Longing in L.A. by Jennifer Kaufman and Karen Mack

Literacy and Longing in L.A.


by Jennifer Kaufman and Karen Mack
published 2006
completed January 2010






In all honesty, I only picked up this book because it met the criteria for one of my challenges.  For the Take Another Chance Challenge, I needed to find an author with my initials, K.M.  Not easy I tell you!  I searched for a very long time and this was the only book that was available at my library that fit the criteria that looked remotely interesting.

Literacy and Longing in L.A. is a story about Dora who goes on book binges when she wants to escape from reality.  She is currently unemployed, separated from her husband, and rapidly depleting her trust fund.  While at a bookshop, she meets Fred and through their relationship, she learns more about herself.

I didn't love this book, but I didn't hate it.  It was just okay for me.  I think the first half was better than the second.  The second half was a bit of a mess. Relating to Dora was difficult for me.  She is a trust fund kid who never had to make her own way and is a snob.  I don't do well with snobs.  Fred, her love interest, was disappointing as well.  He seemed amazing at first but turned out to be a total jerk and unlikable toward the end.  I don't think I would recommend this book to anyone, but if you're inclined to read it, go for it.  



Challenges:  Take Another ChanceWhat's in a Name 3

2 comments:

  1. Too bad this didn't work out ...the whole book angle sounded promising!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenners, there were tons of books mentioned in it so that was a positive. There was also a list at the back of the book of all of the books mentioned. Not a total waste, but not one I would list as my favorite.

    ReplyDelete