This month, I went for comfort food. I've always wanted to make Macaroni and Cheese from scratch. I think the boxed stuff is kind of nasty. I put it off because I always assumed it would be difficult. My husbands co-worker gave him a recipe, and I was surprised by how easy it was. Throw almost everything in and heat. No making a roux like the other recipe I tried. It's thickened with corn starch.
Mac and Cheese
1 2/3 cups dry macaroni, cooked and drained
2 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp white pepper
12 oz evaporated milk (or any combo of milk, cream or half and half)
1 cup water
2 tbsp butter
3 cups cheddar cheese or more
Preheat oven to 375.
1. Mix corn starch, salt, mustard, and pepper in medium saucepan.
2. Add milk, water, and butter.
3. Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly until it boils. Boil 1 minute.
4. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 to 2 1/2cups of cheese until melted.
5. Pour into buttered casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is at your desired brownness.
As it came from an individual, I'm not sure of the original source. I don't know where to give credit so I apologize in advance if I'm stepping on anyone's toes.
|Look at my cheesy goodness!|
It was so tasty. I love how you can customize it. I had leftover feta that needed to be used so I did a combination of feta and cheddar. I made it in a round casserole dish, but next time I'll make it in a 13 x 9 pan. That way you get more of the crunchy cheese on the top. My family loved it. There were no leftovers. It's not the healthiest meal--more of a once in a while dish--but it's delicious!
Go check out more recipes. Trish at Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity is hosting this month.