Monday, July 1, 2013

Reading in July

So, I'm a terrible blogger lately. I wish I could say that will change, but alas, it will not. I'm certain that things won't really settle down until after we move back home and are settled. That will probably be sometime in September. International moves are insane. I highly recommend living overseas, but the logistics of the move is enough to make me never want to do it again. We won't have our furniture for a least 6 weeks. More likely two months. Nevermind. We won't think about that.

Instead, lets think about books. Now that's a happy place. I haven't had much reading time lately, but have had logged loads of audiobook hours while sorting through belongings in preparation for the move (I tried not to bring it up, I really did). Bill Bryson has been a favorite. Random facts and anecdotes are perfect when you're doing mindless things.

As far as book reading, I finished my Classics Spin book, The Awakening. It was kind of meh for me, but I think it had to do with my current head space, and the timing of when I read it (first half nearly a month ago, and the last half over the past two days). I did also finish Under the Dome this weekend (did anyone else feel like the ending was rushed and a bit abrupt). Now I'm moving on to another readalong. I can't get enough of them. They're just so fun.



I'm planning on joining in with Estella Society's summer readalong of A Prayer for Owen Meany. It starts today, and I'm a few pages in. I have a copy and it's sort of big, so while they're planning on ending in August, I'm going to have to be finished before I move on July 26. (I have only one suitcase to bring on the plane and it's going to have to fit all of the personal belongings I need for three weeks before our air shipment arrives. Sadly, that doesn't leave much room for books, though I have been stocking my kindle so that I have plenty of reading material. Again, everything I do revolves around this move, lately. I can't wait until it's over.)

What are your reading plans for the month? Any exciting events in which you'll be participating in July?

16 comments:

  1. As much as I'd love to do such a huge move, I think the actually moving process would drive me bonkers. I'm the kind who hates moving two blocks. I generally end up throwing nearly everything away and starting over. Readalongs are so much! I wish I participated more often, but it hardly ever seems to work out for me. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke, yes, the moving is crazy. I hate moving too, so I'm not quite sure what I was thinking. I hope you can find a readalong that works for you. They're really fun and it's been a great way for me to get to know more bloggers.

      Delete
  2. Oh man, I can't imagine how hectic things must be right now! We are in the midst of replacing our roof/gutters/soffits ourself and it is hell. I just want my house back. An international move must be crazy!

    On the other hand, I'm not a huge Irving fan and I ended up loving Owen Meany. It's a strange book, but a really good one. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Melissa, your house situation sounds awful. Best of luck getting it done quickly.

      Glad to hear you liked Owen Meany. I'm going into it pretty blind so we'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  3. International moves are very hard--you have to be very unattached to your stuff! Sending positive thoughts that all will go smoothly for you.

    I read and loved A Prayer for Owen Meany years ago when I was on a big John Irving kick. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, thanks, I'll need all the positive thoughts I can get.

      I haven't read any Irving, but I'm looking forward to it. We seem to have pretty similar taste in books so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed A Prayer for Owen Meany.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure you're going to feel so relieved when you're all settled in the house. And fall seems like a perfect time for that doesn't it? I was thinking about you and my cousin last night (Elise, if you remember her from Whip it up challenge) because she's in the San Diego area. I wondered how close you'd be. Anyway.

    I started Prayer this morning on audio (I'll also be reading) and like it so far. I'm happy that my book club at work is also reading it so that takes some of the pressure off the length! And totally agree about The Awakening. MEH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt meh about The Awakening. You'll have to let me know how you like the audio. I was hoping to get some reading done today, but it didn't happen. Hopefully I can sneak some in tomorrow while the boys are at football training.

      Delete
  5. I hope the rest of your move goes smoothly. I can't imagine the logistics involved!

    My spin book was Robinson Crusoe. Thumbs down, lol.

    I'm going to be reading Meany as well, see ya around!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, uh-oh, I think I have Robinson Crusoe on my Classics list. Glad to see you're doing the Meany readalong too. It should be fun!

      Delete
  6. Thank goodness for audiobooks, right? I'm going to have to join this readalong because I've been reading Owen Meany off and on for a couple of months now. It's the book I have on my phone so I just read it while waiting in line and in doctor's offices. I really like it though, so it would be great to read along with others, and a little faster than I have been.
    Good luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley, audiobooks have been such a lifesaver. It gives me my fix for books, but I can still feel productive when I'm busy.

      It's always more fun reading with others. You should join us. It's a great group of bloggers and should be fun.

      Delete
  7. I remember reading The Awakening years ago and liking it, but I might read it again now and think the same as you. I'll be with you for the Estella Project readalong. I've alreaady read the book before, but am interested in seeing what others think. I probably won't get started until after this weekend. Maybe even next week or weekend. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryan G., it sounds like it will be a good group of readers. It seems like a fairly quick read so I'm sure even if you start late, I'm sure you'll catch up. I just started a couple of days ago and have finished a fair chunk. Good luck.

      Delete
  8. It's always tough to immerse yourself in a "tougher" book when you've got a million things going on! I've recently given myself permission to stop reading a book if it doesn't work for me, or if it is good, but my head may not be into that type of book at that time. No more guilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I do need to get to the place where I'll put a book down if it's not working for me. I'd imagine I would enjoy most books more if I gave them a fair chance when the timing was right.

      Delete