Friday, December 31, 2010

2011 TBR Pile Challenge

I finally decided to join a challenge for 2011.  I might jump on another few after the first of the year, but this one is perfect for me.  The 2011 TBR Pile Challenge is hosted by Roof Beam Reader.  Here are the details.

The Goal:
To finally read 12 books from your "to be read" pile, within 12 months. 

Specifics:

1. Each of these 12 books must have been on your bookshelf or "To Be Read" list forAT LEAST one full year. This means the book cannot have a publication date of 1/1/2010 or later (any book published in the year 2009 or earlier qualifies, as long as it has been on your TBR pile - I WILL be checking publication dates). Caveat: Two (2) alternates are allowed, just in case one or two of the books end up in the "can't get through" pile.

2. To be eligible, you must sign-up with Mr. Linky below - link to your list (so create it ahead of time!) and add updated links to each book's review.  Every listed book must be completed and must be reviewed in order to count as completed.

3. Your list must be posted by Friday, December 31st, 2010.

4. Leave comments on this post as you go along, to update us on your status. Come back here if/when you complete this challenge and leave a comment indicating that you CONQUERED YOUR 2011 TBR LIST!  Every person who successfully reads his/her 12 books and/or alternates (and who provides a working link to their list, which has links to the review locations) will be entered to win a $50 gift card from either Amazon.com or The Book Depository!

5.  There may be mini-challenge "check-ins" throughout 2011, to award and recognize those participants who are progressing through the challenge, such as a "Spring Break Check-In!" or a "6 Month Pit Stop!" Participants who are making equal progress to-date (6 books at the 6 month check-in, for example) could win a prize! 

6. Crossovers from other challenges are totally acceptable, as long as you have never read the book before and it was published pre-2010!

My TBR List to Conquer
01.  Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (completed 8/11)
02.  Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (completed 6/11)
03.  Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll (completed 6/11)
04.  Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
05.  Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (completed 2/11)
06.  David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (completed 12/11)
07.  Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (completed 6/11)
08.  Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (completed 3/11)
09.  Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald (completed 11/11)
10.  The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (completed 11/11)
11.  War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (completed 2/11)
12.  Villette by Charlotte Bronte (completed 12/11)

Alternates
1.  Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (completed 9/11)
2.  A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain

I CONQUERED MY 2011 TBR LIST!

10 comments:

  1. Hi, Kristi!

    Thanks for taking the challenge with us! I am completely infatuated by your list - you have a couple of my all-time favorites (War and Peace, Alice's Adventures, and Dorian Gray.

    I'm also very eager to read David Copperfield, Connecticut Yankee, Gone With the Wind, and a lot of the others on your list - so I can't wait to read your reviews!

    Good Luck & Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam--Thanks for hosting the challenge! I'm really excited about reading all of these books. Happy New Year to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the challenge. I'm not joining but Cannery Row and Oliver Twist are currently in my to-be-read pile as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darlyn--Thanks for stopping by. I'm really looking forward to reading Cannery Row and Oliver Twist. They've been in my TBR for a very long time. :) I hope you enjoy them also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list of TBR books. I loved your # 1, 7, 8, and 10. I'm also in the middle of David Copperfield and War and Peace right now, we'll have to compare notes later. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Avid Reader--It's nice to hear you liked Atlas Shrugged. I'm always nervous about long books because I hate to spend so much time reading it if I end up disliking it.

    I think I'm going to read David Copperfield in July. That way I can participate in the readalong with Allie if it is selected. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it.

    I'm really enjoying War and Peace right now. Hopefully you are too. I can't wait until the first check-in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds doable ... one a month! I bet you'll feel good when you finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenners-The list is a little intimidating to me, but I figured I'd get some of the scary ones off of my TBR list this year. It'll probably drop my total of books read, but I don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just checking-in on your progress for the 2011 TBR Pile Challenge - how are things going so far?!

    Also... BIG Giveaways are happening next week, and TBR Pile Challenge participants earn extra entries for linking to their lists, so be sure to visit my Giveaways section soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Adam! I'll be sure to stop by and post my progress. I've finished five so far, but I have some reviews to write. Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete