Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Shining



I finished. Yes, it's the last day, but I finished. I'm not going to do a detailed, well-thought out post. I'm just going to throw up some of my initial thoughts on finishing so I can read the much better posts written by everyone else. 

  • This book grabbed me from the start, but lost steam rather quickly. It suffers from the same issue as most of King's books (in my opinion)--there's too much back story, and it takes too long to get going. Also, too many words.
  • The last 100 pages flew by, but up until then, I struggled. Every time I sat down to read it over the past week, I fell asleep within a few pages.
  • I struggle with reading about physical abuse so right from the outset I was feeling a little uncomfortable.
  • I think it's tough to get into a book when I don't care about the main characters. I despised Jack. He reminded me of Nick from Gone Girl. I didn't want to be in his head and hear how he really felt about women. It made me feel dirty.
  • I understand that times were different, but I guess I can't see why Wendy would stay with a man who broke her child's arm. Lack of control and alcoholism do not a responsible husband and father make. You know? Why not walk away and find a job? She didn't have to go and live with her mom to get away.
  • I was super pissed when I thought that Dick Halloran went all that way only to die before he could help in any way. So glad that I was wrong. 
  • I will not watch the movie because I am a wimp, but I'd imagine that it's much scarier than the book because for whatever reason, it didn't freak me out.
  • Lastly, I just wanted to show you the cover below (I found it while looking at librarything) because it is probably one of the stupidest covers I've ever seen. So subtle. Ha.


This readalong was brought to you by the wonderful Jill over at Fizzy Thoughts. Can't wait for the next one. Under the Dome anyone?

10 comments:

  1. That cover is awful! I'm with you on the physical abuse and such. It's just hard to read. I liked the book was more about one man's mental break down than about big monsters jumping out and being scary. It's not one I would re-read though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it so cheesy? Ha. I think the psychological aspect was pretty fascinating. Jack was weak and more susceptible. Definitely not one I will read again.

      Delete
  2. Well then! :) I absolutely agree about the backstory and just not really caring about Jack, what he had been through, where he was going. I think the only one I cared for in this book was Mike and like you I was really upset when I thought he died--kind of had that moment with Stu in The Stand when I just wanted to put the book down and walk away. I don't plan to watch the movie either although Scott watched IT the other night and I didn't think I'd be able to but it was so dumb and cheesy.

    Moving on, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the backstory almost seemed like it was trying to explain why he was how he was, but I just didn't care. I don't think it really added to the story either, particularly his childhood stuff. I totally felt like putting it down once Dick was left for (what I thought) was dead. I thought he and Wendy were going to die and leave Jack and Danny. Definitely happy it didn't end that way.

      True, moving on. Can't wait for Under the Dome. I have seen great reviews of that one from people I trust.

      Delete
  3. Good point on the back story - I didnt even think to mention that in my review but like you I too dont need the back story to be so over detailed... I get bored I want action! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, so true. I just felt like yelling, "Get to the good stuff."

      Delete
  4. Thanks for playing along, even if (like me) you weren't thrilled. I had the same thought about Wendy numerous times. I probably would have enjoyed the audio more if I'd yelled "dump his ass!" every few hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would want to yell that too. It just seemed irrational. I'm still glad I read it even if I didn't love it.

      Delete
  5. Nice to see you back blogging, Kristi! Have been missing your posts. Nice to know that you finished reading King's 'The Shining. I haven't read the book but I saw the movie a few years back when I did a Stanley Kubrick festival at home. The movie is certainly scary. I agree with you on the too many pages comment - Stephen King does put in more words than required. Looking forward to reading your next review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vishy. I've missed blogging. I just wish I had more time (as I'm sure everyone does). I know I'm too chicken to watch the movie.

      Delete