Saturday, April 27, 2013

Read-a-thon!




FINISHED! 

Current Book: Eleanor & Park, Princess Academy (audio)
Pages Read: 460
Books Completed: 3, Where'd You Go Bernadette, Delirium, Who Took the Cookies? (read to my daughter)
Reading Minutes: 420
Listening Minutes: 70
Minutes Visiting Other Blogs: 110

I didn't wake up as early as I'd hoped, but I did get to visit a few more blogs. I also saw that I won a prize after I fell asleep last night for cheering. Woohoo! I had plans this morning and just arrived back home so this is my final tally.

I didn't read as much as I'd hoped, but with kids around and no husband here, I'm pretty pleased with how it went. It has been so extraordinarily fun, and I'm hoping I can join in again for the next one in October. Thanks for all of the encouragement and to all those who hosted. It's been amazing!

**************************************


UPDATE HOUR 14, 2:00 am

Current Book: Eleanor & Park, Princess Academy (audio)
Pages Read: 440
Books Completed: 3, Where'd You Go Bernadette, Delirium, Who Took the Cookies? (read to my daughter)
Reading Minutes: 400
Listening Minutes: 70
Minutes Visiting Other Blogs: 80

Well, I've been up for 19 hours and didn't really sleep well last night. This will be my last update until the morning. I'm all ready for bed and am planning to climb under my covers and read until my eyes slam shut. I might try to squeeze in a few more pages in the morning, but I'll definitely do a bit more cheering. Happy reading everyone, and thanks for the supportive comments.

**************************************


UPDATE HOUR 11, 11:00 pm

Current Book: Where'd You Go, Bernadette (print), Princess Academy (audio)
Pages Read: 380
Books Completed: 2, Delirium, Who Took the Cookies? (read to my daughter)
Reading Minutes: 340
Listening Minutes: 60
Minutes Visiting Other Blogs: 70

My husband is out of town so I spent a little while chatting on the phone with him. Kids are asleep so I'll probably listen to a bit more audio while I tidy the house then read until I fall asleep. Maybe a bit more cheerleading. We'll see how I feel. Keep on keepin' on readers!


**************************************


UPDATE HOUR 8, 8:00 pm

Current Book: Where'd You Go, Bernadette (print), Princess Academy (audio)
Pages Read: 283
Books Completed: 1 (Delirium)
Reading Minutes: 255
Listening Minutes: 60
Minutes Visiting Other Blogs: 60

Going to take a little break for a while to get my kiddos ready for bed. My eyes could use the rest. I'm starting to nod off a bit.


**************************************

UPDATE HOUR 6, 6:00 pm

Current Book: Where'd You Go, Bernadette (print), Princess Academy (audio)
Pages Read: 187
Books Completed: 1 (Delirium)
Reading Minutes: 165
Listening Minutes: 50
Minutes Visiting Other Blogs: 50


**************************************



UPDATE HOUR 4, 4:00 pm

Current Book: Where'd You Go, Bernadette (print), Princess Academy (audio)
Pages Read: 120
Books Completed: 1 (Delirium)
Reading Minutes: 100
Listening Minutes: 20
Minutes Visiting Other Blogs: 35


**************************************

UPDATE HOUR 2, 2:00 pm

Current Book: Delirium by Lauren Oliver (e-book), Princess Academy (audio)
Pages Read: 20
Books Completed: 0
Reading Minutes: 20
Listening Minutes: 20

Thoughts: My kids decided to read with me, but they're kind of more into the snacks. I had an unexpected visitor stop by for a chat, but hoping that it will be smooth sailing for at least the next few hours.


**************************************

Introductory Questionnaire

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? I'm reading from Glasgow, Scotland. It's a beautiful sunny day today, which is very rare. Luckily we didn't start until 1 pm, so I got in a little outside sunshine time in the morning.
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Where'd You Go Bernadette. Just picked it up from the library yesterday and am really excited. I need a good laugh after the week I've had.
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? Green & Blacks Organic Dark Chocolate with Burnt Toffee. Yum.
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I'm a mother of three, American ex-pat living in Scotland, and a CPA. I just finished tax season and trying to recover. This read-a-thon should help.
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? This is my first time, but I'm mostly just looking forward to the reading. I have been in a reading slump lately and I'm hoping this will get me out.


**************************************

This is my first read-a-thon, and I'm pretty excited! My husband is out of town and it's just me and my three kids (ages 5, 8, and 10). I'm hoping to include them and get tons of reading done, but we'll see how it goes. I'm just planning on one post, and I'll update it throughout the day.

As I'm a Scotland dweller, we don't start until 1 pm. My goal is to make it until I fall asleep. Tomorrow I have to be up and get three kiddos ready to leave the house by 9:30 am (not to return until 1:30 pm) so I'm guessing I'll crash about 1 am. So, I'm only planning for 12 hours, but I'll try to make them count.



My pile. Noticing a trend? Easy. Short. I'll probably start by finishing Delirium then move on from there. I'll use the audiobooks to spend time making dinner and doing a bit of house tidying. If the print books aren't doing it for me, I have a few options on my e-reader listed below

  • Delirium by Lauren Oliver (have about 120 pages left)
  • Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
  • Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
  • Paper Towns by John Green
  • The Scorpio Races by Maggie Steifvater
I'll be stopping by blogs and doing a bit of cheering as well today. Good luck to everyone and happy reading!

19 comments:

  1. Orange Crush, lemon ice!
    Read them once, read them twice!
    Read them high, read them low!
    Dewey’s Readers on the go!

    Happy Reading!
    Jennifer~Team Panda
    The Relentless Reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you have some great books lined up! I'll be interested to see your thoughts on Where'd You Go, Bernadette. Also, I absolutely LOVED The Scorpio Races! Eleanor and Park is wonderful too. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. So excited to get to Eleanor and Park. I've heard so much about it!

      Delete
  3. You're doing really well :)

    I've heard many good things about Where'd You Go, Bernadette, but haven't yet read it. Hope you enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Masanobu! It's been super fun and Where'd You Go, Bernadette was fantastic. I hope you get the chance to read it.

      Delete
  4. I'm curious what you think of the Princess Academy audiobook! I listened to it a year or two ago, and liked some of the voices better than others. I also thought Miri was a little too perfect-girl, but overall enjoyed it. Good luck with the rest of the Read-a-thon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mia, I like the Pricess Academy audio so far, but I'm only about an hour in. We'll see how the rest goes.

      Delete
  5. You have such a fantastic selection! I love Paper Towns and Eleanor & Park is high on my TBR list. I really want to read Where'd You Go Bernadette, so I hope it's good! Keep up the reading, you are doing an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa. I've had Paper Towns for a year. I should really get on that. I hope you're enjoying the read-a-thon as much as I am!

      Delete
  6. Are you LOVING Bernadette?? I adored that book right to bits :)

    Everywhere we go
    People want to know
    Who we are
    So we tell them
    We are the readers!
    The mighty, mighty readers!

    I hope you’re having a fantastic Read-a-Thon!
    Jennifer ~ Team Panda
    The Relentless Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I just finished Bernadette and it was fantastic. I have to say the first half was better than the second, but it was still excellent.

      Hope your reading is going well also!

      Delete
  7. Looks like you've been having a great readathon! Best of luck with the rest of your 'thon-ing in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you did great! So glad the read-a-thon was good for you.

    Jenn and The Cats *Team Panda*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent readathon for you! Congratulations! And I see you read "Eleanor & Park" too, as so many other readers did. It's now #1 on my TBR list.

    So happy you joined us,

    Nolatari
    Team Panda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job, Krisit! I'm hearing so much about Eleanor and Park these days...will definitely have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! I hope you had a good readathon. I'm reading Eleanor & Park today and it is so good. I'm about halfway and absolutely loving it. Unless something goes really crazy with the last half, it will be a 5 star read.

      Delete
  11. You did AMAZING for having kids around and no hubs to help. I don't think I'd accomplish ANYTHING. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andi. It helps that my kids are a little older and excellent at entertaining themselves.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It in reality was once a leisure account it.

    Glance advanced to far added agreeable from you! By
    the way, how could we keep up a correspondence?

    Take a look at my web site - electric Drum Kits

    ReplyDelete