Monday, August 16, 2010

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

The Woman in White


by Wilkie Collins
published 1860
completed May 2010

Walter Hartright is a drawing teacher and with the assistance of his friend Pesca, finds employment at the Limmeridge House.  On his way to the Limmeridge House, he meets a woman dressed all in white and helps direct her as she seems to be lost.  He later discovers that she has most likely escaped from the insane asylum and is greatly distressed.  He arrives at Limmeridge House and meets Marian Halcome and her half-sister Laura Fairlie and starts to piece together the mystery of the woman in white.

The story is told through the narration of several different individuals that are party to the events.  The characters in this book were so colorful and alive.  I loved Marian Halcombe, who reminds me of my own sister.  She is fiercely loyal, extremely brave, and determined.  Mr. Fairlie annoyed me at times, but his scenes in the book made me chuckle.  I loved how each narration helped to slowly put the pieces of the story together.  There were many twists and turns that made for an interesting read.

The Woman in White was an unusual reading experience for me.  The story pulled me in, but it took me months to finish it.  I read the first third of the book then read several books before  picking it up again.  The fact that it took me so long to read does not affect my feelings towards the book.  I would still highly recommend this book to anyone who loves great characters and an intricate plot.  It takes patience to read this book because of its length, but, in my opinion, it is well worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I just read this a few months ago! I'm so glad to hear it took you months to read it, because it seemed really long to me, too. But I liked it, too.

    ReplyDelete