Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Classics Challenge Wrap-Up


I completed my very first book blog challenge!  I participated in the Classics Challenge hosted by Trish.  I read six classics and a bonus.  When first signing up for the Challenge, Trish asked us to share a book that we thought would become a future classic.  She listed these recommendations on the sidebar and we could choose to read one of these for a bonus.  Below is a list of the books that I read for the Challenge.

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan (as future classic bonus)

Besides Pride and Prejudice, these books were all first-time reads for me.  I think my favorite out of the new books would have to be The Woman in White.  I loved the mystery and the twists and turns that the novel took.  It also had an incredible cast of characters.  My least favorite was The Turn of the Screw.  I think my expectations let me down on this one.  Every review I had read mentioned how scary it was, and I just didn't find it frightening.  It was slightly haunting and has an ambiguous ending, but I didn't feel any emotional connection to the story.

I love reading classics, so I wasn't surprised by how much I enjoyed this challenge.  If Trish decides to host again, I will be sure to join in the fun.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing Kristi! I won't be hosting again next year as I just don't want to commit with the baby coming in April, but I think I might have a taker to host again. I'd hate to see this challenge go away.

    I'm glad you liked Woman in White--it's one of my favorite classisc. I'm too intimidated to read Turn of the Screw--James seems really boring to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish--Turn of the Screw was very boring. I completely understand you not wanting to host the challenge. Things will be crazy with a newborn, but it will be fantastic as well.

    ReplyDelete