Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Winter Reading List


I was reading Padfoot and Prongs and they posted a photo of their Winter Reading Lists and encouraged their readers to do the same.  I thought it would be fun.  I've been trying to stock up on library books because my local library is going to be closed from December 24th through January 7th.  Two whole weeks!  What am I to do?  As these are all library books that have a plastic cover over them, it might be difficult to read the titles.

*Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
*Castle Dor by Daphne Du Maurier with Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch
*The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
*The Story Sisters by Alice Hoffman
*Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
*Beloved by Toni Morrison
*Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
*The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
*Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

I'm currently about one-third of the way through Anna Karenina, but I'm trying to read other books while making my way through it.  I'm really enjoying it, but I can only take Levin's farming chapters in small doses.  Have you read any of these?  Any recommendations on which to pick up first?

6 comments:

  1. SO many choices! I've always wanted to read Murder on the Orient Express. Let me know how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good planning ahead. I think you've got enough to keep you busy.

    I really enjoyed "Before I Fall" and that would be a perfect book to read when you need a break from something heavier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Padfoot--I'll make sure to let you know if I like Murder on the Orient Express.

    Jenners--I just finished Before I Fall and I loved it. It was your review that made me reserve it at my library. It definitely lived up to my expectations. Thanks for recommending it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna Karenina huh? Eeep--too scared for that one. ;)

    The only ones I've read are The Handmaid's Tale and Beloved. Both are really great but The Handmaid's Tale stuck with me more. I also have Cloud Atlas on my list.

    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a reading schedule! I plan to read Anna Karenina in 2012. I'm reading War and Peace first. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trish--Anna Karenina is surprisingly not scary. It's just a little slow but not difficult nor confusing. I think you're more brave than I for taking on Ulysses next year.

    Jillian--Are you doing the War in Peace readalong with Allie? I'm starting with her in January. I can't wait! I have to hurry up and finish Anna Kareninafirst.

    ReplyDelete