Sunday, September 9, 2012

RIP VII, IT, and The Little Stranger


RIP VII, Or R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VII is hosted by Carl of Stainless Steel Droppings. I am so excited! This is my first year participating, and I have been hoarding scary books for just this event. I have crazy huge stacks, but they are just stacks from which to select my reads. There is no way that I'll be able to be read them all. I'll definitely be shooting for Peril the First--four books of the RIP variety. To the books!


Stack the First: Books I'm Hoping to Finish


The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
Dracula by Bram Stoker
We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters--Readalong hosted by Estella Society
It by Stephen King--Italong hosted by Jill and Christina (what am I thinking?!)

Stack the Second: Audiobooks I'm Hoping to Finish


The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley
The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters--Doing a listen/read for the readalong.
Don't Look Back by Laura Lippman--Random library pick. The Little Stranger hadn't come in and I had a long drive ahead of me.

Stack the Third: My Maybe Books


After the Funeral by Agatha Christie
Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde
Case Histories by Kate Atkinson (and other three in Jackson Brodie Series)--This series has been recommended by so many of my favorite bloggers.



Both readalongs are mentioned above, but here are the buttons and links again if you're interested.


Found here


Found here


14 comments:

  1. Your copy of IT looks HUGE!!!!! I also love how it has the skull sticker on the cover.

    Hmmm--I'm not sure what you were thinking but I'm thinking you've got a lot of great reading ahead! ;) Can't wait to hear how you like Little Strangers. Wish I could read along with y'all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, I know, right? It's massive. I went to pick it up from the library and when I saw it I was a bit panicked. The skull was cracking me up--READER BEWARE!

      I'm hoping I can get it all done, but things have been quiet around my house with all of my kids in school full day so I'm hoping I can manage. I'll probably mostly do the audio for Little Stranger. My kids are like little tornadoes so I always have hours of cleaning and laundry to do everyday and the audio works well for when my hands are busy.

      Delete
  2. I want to read all of these! I just can't swing it all. But I am doing a good job reading a bunch so maybe I should just attempt everything. Good luck to you and HAVE FUN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Care. I doubt I will read as much as I would like, but there's so much going on right now in the book blogging community. I wish I could do it all. I'm hoping it will be fun and that I don't overwhelm myself and start to feel pressured. It should be fun! Thanks for the reminder. Best of luck with all of your fall reading as well.

      Delete
  3. OMG … IT looks frighteningly big!!! It doesn't feel long though. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Kate Atkinson books. Very very funny at times in a droll and dry way. But never ask me what happened afterwards as I can never remember. you've got some good reading ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenners, IT is terrifyingly huge. I'm glad it doesn't feel that way. The Stand was massive too, but it was fairly quick to read once I got into it.

      I'm really excited about the Kate Atkinson books. I've heard so much about the series.

      Delete
  4. What do you mean "What am I thinking?" You are thinking FUN! GOOD TIMES! And also, I should read American Psycho, too!

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, IT will be fun! I'm debating picking up American Psycho, but I've heard it's really gruesome. Either way, I'm looking forward to your posts on it. I'm sure they will be awesome.

      Delete
  5. I was just thinking that It was showing up in a lot of lists - didn't realize there was an It-Along going on! I'm just reading 11.22.63 and there's a big It tie-in in one section - great to see. I love how King can tie his worlds together.

    Fantastic list. Happy reading to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started IT after reading 11.22.63 earlier this year. I don't remember the names of the characters Jake meets when he goes to Derry. I'll have to look it up so I can make the connection as I'm reading IT. I'm probably one of the few readers to be coming at it in the reverse.

      Delete
  6. So happy that you are in with on RIP this year! Welcome!!! Love your enthusiasm and your book piles look so tempting. We Have Always Lived in the Castle was a favorite for me for RIP when I read it for the first time a couple of years ago. Want to reread that one at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carl for hosting! It has been fun so far and I'm excited to keep reading creepy until the end of October. I'm happy to hear you loved We Have Always Lived in the Castle. It seems to be a favorite of many readers and I'm really looking forward to it.

      Delete
  7. Woo hoo!!! I'm joining the fun too. I'm skipping the read along of Little Stranger because I've already read it, but I think I'll read another Sarah Waters book. Also, The Woman in Black and We Have Always Lived in the Castle were my two favorite RIP books from last year. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, RIP is so fun! I'm looking forward to your posts. I'm really looking forward to The Woman in Black and We Have Always Lived in the Castle. So glad to hear that you loved them! Happy reading to you!

      Delete