Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Little Stranger Read-a-long Check-in #1


I've had The Little Stranger on my shelf for close to two years. So when Estella Society proposed a read-a-long, I was all over that. The funny thing is that I've hardly touched my copy but have opted instead for the audiobook narrated by Simon Vance. During audiobook week a few months ago I heard many readers gush over Simon Vance. I totally get it now. He is good. Really good. I have actually been looking forward to doing housework this week so that I can listen to more of The Little Stranger. Truly shocking.

How are you liking the book? Can your read it at night?

I'm really enjoying it. Sarah Waters has won me over with her writing. It started a little slowly, but I found that it added to the creepiness. I would catch glimpses here and there of something not quite right in Hundreds, but it kept me guessing as to what would happen next. I haven't been fearful of reading it at night, yet, but I've carried on to chapter nine and it's starting to get a little more under my skin.

What do you think about what's going on?

I can't quite figure out exactly the rationale behind the different attacks, but I've had an inkling as to who is behind them. As I said, I read a little into chapter nine and of what I've read, it makes me think that my guess is correct, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone not there yet.

What do you think of the Ayres family? Do you pity them their fall from the top?

I found them obnoxious in how they treated those they saw as beneath them. Roderick more so than Caroline, but they are both fairly condescending. I wanted to slap Roderick when he made the comment to Dr. Faraday about how they were only friends with them because their real friends couldn't be welcomed into their home in its current state. I guess I'm a girl who doesn't deal well with snobbery. I feel badly for them that they may lose their home, but devastation was all around in that time period. They were hardly in the worst of circumstances.

Thoughts on Dr. Faraday

The group post of questions says "Can't you feel the want radiating off him?" Yes! So much. That is a perfect way of phrasing it. He is so obsessed with this family. He reminds me of Charles Ryder from Brideshead Revisited. He seems to want to work his way into the family in any way possible. His sights seem to be set on Caroline. I think it's telling that he's constantly remarking on how plain and manly, etc. Caroline is.  I'm sure if that play doesn't work, he'll work another angle.


9 comments:

  1. Fantabulous post!!! I'm glad you're liking this one so far. I just adore Waters' writing, and getting to know the characters thoroughly really turns up the scary later on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andi. I'm looking forward to the scariness escalating.

      Delete
  2. I'm starting to regret not opting for the audiobook now! :) A good narrator can add a little oomph to any book. Unfortunately, I can't connect with anyone in the book, so I'm feeling a bit ambivalent about their fate. It's good to know that chapter nine is going to be scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chinoiseries, I've had difficulty with connecting to the characters too. They're all pretty irritating in their own way.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to read this for RIP (or try to) but I'm not reading on the schedule so I'm going to have to come back and reread these once I get to it.

    I've heard a lot about Simon Vance too … I need to listen to him soon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. I'm looking forward to your review. RIP is so fun! Creepy books this time of year are the best. Simon Vance is pretty great so hopefully you can find a great book narrated by him to listen to soon.

      Delete
  4. You've made a good parallel with Brideshead Revisited, I think. There's a definite desire within these characters for something - a family and a way of life - that's just out of their reaches.

    I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts! Happy reading to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, they do all seem to be struggling to get what they want. I feel for the Ayres with their home falling down around them, but their smugness kind of detracts from my sympathy. Poor Dr Faraday just wants so badly to belong to that family and lifestyle, it's kind of pathetic.

      Delete
  5. I liked how Sarah Waters kept the characters flawed, and hence, real. Like you mentioned, manly Caroline is so plain. And she runs around without hose and unshaven legs! Good for her! And her toes were tanned. I liked her on many levels right off the bat, but then she would slip into the class division snobbiness and I would feel like giving her a little shake.

    ReplyDelete