Friday, October 26, 2012

Dracula by Bram Stoker (RIP VII)

Dracula

by Bram Stoker
published 1897
completed October 2012
rating 3/5


I think everyone in the world must know the story of Dracula, aside from maybe me? I knew he was a vampire (pretty sure that's not a spoiler to anyone), but I wasn't familiar with the actual story.

Well, Dracula as a character is as creepy and awful as expected, but the book--not so much. There were times when it was a real page-turner and I was really anxious as to what would happen next, but those moments were few. The best part of the book was the beginning with Jonathan Harker not really knowing what he was getting into while visiting Transylvania in his position as a solicitor.

The middle was a drag. Lucy reminded me of Margaret from North and South. Every man is in love with her and I couldn't quite figure out why. Three proposals in one day (I think I read that right?) must be some type of record.

Several pages could have been cut as there was so much talking about what they were going to do about Count Dracula and not as much doing. Every time Van Helsing opened his mouth, I knew I was in for pages of explanations and philosophizing. Boy was he long-winded.

The men were in need of a good slap. I know they meant well but all of the "let's protect the woman and order her to bed because she cannot handle all the things that we the manly men can handle," was so eye-roll inducing. Usually I can just brush that off in an old-timey book, but this one really grated on me.

Overall, I'm glad a read it. It was a fun RIP read, but it's not one I will likely revisit.

Have you read Dracula? What did you think?



14 comments:

  1. I read this as a freshman in college and I was surprised by how boring it was. I know that's horrible, but I think I was expecting something more like the modern day scary vampire action stories. I wonder what I would think of it now that I know more about the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, your comment makes me feel so much better. I'm not the only one that found this boring.

      Delete
  2. I read Dracula for the first time about 2 years ago, and even though it seems a bit dated and the women were wimpy, it was still pretty creepy for me. The most exciting parts seem to be the beginning and the ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaida, I agree--the beginning and the ending were pretty exciting. I was just disappointed with how slow and stretched out the middle part was. Glad that you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. Glad you reviewed this--I just finished Salem's Lot and Dracula is referenced quite in it, so I was planning to read it soon. I will prepare myself for the long-windedness and gallantry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I haven't heard of Salem's Lot. I'll have to check it out. I hope you enjoy Dracula when you read it. I think I would have enjoyed it more had I known to expect some slow parts.

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed it, but then I read it along with Frankenstein, which bored the hell out of me. So in comparison, it was pretty much the best book ever. In a cheesy, you've got to be kidding me sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, that's funny because I didn't mind Frankenstein as much when I read it last year. I'm such a moody reader. I probably would have liked Dracula more if I'd read it at a different time. And yes, it's super cheesy.

      Delete
  5. Nice review, Kristi! I read 'Dracula' when I was in school, and I liked it very much at that time. When I read your review, I feel that the book probably hasn't aged well. My favourite part of the book was also the initial part where Jonathan Harker goes to Transylvania and doesn't know what he is getting into. Your comment on the men needing a slap because of their eye-roll inducing behaviour made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vishy, glad you enjoyed Dracula. I wish it had won me over, but I wonder if it just timing. I'd just finished We Have Always Lived in the Castle, and it suffered by comparison. Not really fair, but it happens.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry so many things about it annoyed you! I read it last year and really liked it - I didn't know the story either and was impressed. It wasn't too creepy, but I liked the characters and the storytelling. My favorite part was before they all figured out what was what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I feel bad that I didn't as much as everyone else seems to. The beginning was pretty great.

      Delete
  7. Boy … that is one of the creepiest Dracula covers I've ever seen. Shivers!

    I haven't actually read the book either .. but I now know to skip the Van Helsing parts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenners--it is a creepy cover, and it's the one I own. I really don't like looking at it, but I only paid 40 cents so I didn't care too much.

      You might end up liking it, but Van Helsing as nice as he seems, must really like hearing himself talk.

      Delete