Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Pin It and Do It Wrap-Up



I ended up doing three pins, all of which were recipes. I did make a few other new recipes this month, but they weren't from pinterest so I'm out of luck there. Bummer. I did get some of my organization done around the house, but they also were not relating to things I pinned. No big deal. The point was to be productive, and I think I was.

Zucchini au Gratin

The first recipe I made was Zucchini au Gratin posted on the food section of pbs.org. It turned out alright, but there was too much of the roux, which was entirely my fault. I was supposed to use three large zucchini and I only had three medium sized ones. It was okay. Not sure if I'll try it again as there are so many other healthier zucchini recipes that I actually like more. Pin found here.

Tomato, Basil, and Cheddar Soup

The second recipe I made was Tomato, Basil, and Cheddar Soup from More Fruit Please. We ate it with grilled cheese sandwiches and I wasn't a big fan. I love tomato soups, but this one was very acidic to my taste. I'm sure I could have found a way to doctor it if I'd had time that night, but I had to rush out to a meeting. I don't think I'll be making it again. Still on the hunt for a homemade tomato soup. Do you have one? Pin found here.

Banana, Buttermilk, and Brown Sugar Muffins

Lastly, I made these Banana, Buttermilk, and Brown Sugar Muffins from Herbivoracious. These again, were just okay. I think I ended up eating a couple, but most were thrown away. I make muffins often, but these were not as moist as others that I have made. Disappointing. Even my kids who usually devour my muffins weren't really into these. Pin found here.

Hmm...kind of a bummer that I didn't really love any of these, but it's good to know. Now I can move on and try to find more recipes to add to my cooking and baking repertoire.

Big thanks to Trish of Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity for hosting! I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else has accomplished this month. Click here to find out what others have been pinning and doing.



14 comments:

  1. It's always frustrating to make a recipe that you don't end up loving. Oh well, at least you tried!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, so true. Hopefully my next few that I try will be keepers.

      Delete
  2. I never thought I'd see the day when combining tomato, basil and cheddar could turn out to be something other than divine, but good to know it is possible! The soup looks yummy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hanna, other's might like the soup. It might just be that it wasn't to my taste. I'll just keep searching for one that I love. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. The ideas sound great (I'm a huge tomato soup fan) but too bad that none of them were spectactular. Now you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenners, it's nice to know so that I can search for a different one. I have one pinned that has parmesan cheese. I think I might like that better.

      Delete
  4. Banana recipes that don't work out are solo disappointing. I think banana muffins should always be yummy, it's so unfair if they're not. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna, I love banana muffins so it was disappointing. We always seem to be left with some overripe ones that need to be used. Luckily I do have a banana muffin recipe that I like already. I just thought I'd try something new. Oh well, back to the old tried and true one.

      Delete
  5. I hate that you didn't love any of these!! I find that Pinterest can be really hit or miss. I've never had luck making good muffins from scratch so I don't even try anymore. Hope the next ones are better for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, I have found that too. I've been following more food blogs with mixed success. I find that websites that have rated recipes are a better resource for me. Rarely have one of those recipes let me down.

      I actually make muffins all of the time from scratch. The recipe makes a huge difference. I've found that ones that use sour cream or plain yogurt turn out much better than ones that don't. I love making zucchini chocolate chip, banana, and blueberry muffins. My kids devour them, and I don't feel too guilty since there are some vitamins in there.

      Delete
    2. Have you ever frozen them? I've thought about making some mini-muffins and freezing for Elle's breakfast. I usually make a huge batch of pancakes or waffles but I think she's tiring of them and I'm out of other quick breakfast ideas (Scott gets her ready in morning and will sometimes cook eggs but not always). If you have a recipe you don't mind sharing, I'd love that. The last blueberry muffin recipe I tried was TERRIBLE. (from a cookbook)

      Delete
    3. Trish, Breakfasts are tough when you're in a hurry, but there are some once a month cooking websites that have ideas for freezable breakfasts. There's one that I used to follow. I've never tried freezing them, but I'll have a look and see what they say about muffins. I'd love to try freezing them myself as we don't always make it through all of them. I'll email you a couple of my favorite muffin recipes when I get the chance in the next day or so. Hopefully they'll work for you.

      Delete
  6. Too bad none of these worked out, but great job with the challenge.

    Here's the tomato soup recipe that I use with grilled cheese sandwiches: http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2012/03/31/tomato-jalapeno-chilaquiles/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy,thank you so much for this link. I have pinned your post and will be trying it soon. I'm a huge tomato soup fan, but hate to buy pre-made ones. They may taste good, but I like to have control over what's in them.

      Delete